banner banner
Infinite Menus, Copyright 2006, OpenCube Inc. All Rights Reserved.
South Jersey's News Talk Leader!
Radio You Can Depend On!
ABC National

Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(LANCASTER, N.H.) -- A deadly circus tent collapse for a New Hampshire fairground on Monday night.

A circus tent collapsed at the Lancaster, New Hampshire fairgrounds on Monday night killing two and injuring more than a dozen people. Around 100 people were inside the tent during the time of the collapse, according to New Hampshire State Fire Marshal William Degnan.

Degnan also said the two who died were a young man and a young girl.

"The victims were spectators," said Degnan at a press conference. "They were guests here at the circus."

After reports for severe thunderstorms in the area, high winds knocked over the tent during a circus performance. The National Weather Service reported 1 inch hail, 60 mph winds, and severe lightning.

New Hampshire Department of Safety Public Information Officer Mike Todd said the Emergency Operations Center had been activated, no one was trapped at the moment, and local authorities were on the scene.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(CENTENNIAL, Colo.) -- The jury in the sentencing phase of the James Holmes murder trial decided on Monday that the death penalty will remain an option.

Jurors decided that mitigating factors do not outweigh the aggravating factors for the 12 people who were murdered by Holmes at an Aurora, Colorado movie theater on July 20, 2012. He was convicted of killing them and wounding 70 others last month.

Now, the jury will move on to the third phase and be faced with deciding whether or not to sentence him to death or life without parole.

If Monday's decision went the other way, then the trial would have effectively ended, sentencing him to life in prison with the death penalty removed as a possible sentence.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(MEMPHIS, Tenn.) -- The man wanted for the fatal shooting of a Memphis, Tennessee, police officer has been captured, ending a 24-hour manhunt, police said.

The Shelby County Sheriff's Department said on it's Facebook page that 29-year-old Tremaine Wilbourn surrendered to the U.S. Marshals Office.

Wilbourn, a convicted bank robber who was out on supervised release, was identified Sunday as the suspect in the killing of Memphis police officer Sean Bolton, who was killed Saturday night as he investigated an illegally parked car.

Here is a closer look at how the incident unfolded.


THE TRAFFIC STOP:


Saturday night, Memphis police officer Sean Bolton saw an illegally parked 2002 Mercedes-Benz, police said.

Bolton pulled in front of the car and shined his spotlight inside.

Bolton then went up to the car, where he engaged in a "brief struggle" with the car's passenger, according to police.

THE SHOOTING:

The passenger, identified as Wilbourn, allegedly shot Bolton several times, police said. Wilbourn and the car's driver fled after the shooting.

When officers responded to the scene and searched the suspect's car, they determined "Bolton apparently interrupted some sort of drug transaction," police said.

Officers found digital scales and a bag containing 1.7 grams of marijuana in the car, police said.

The car's driver later turned himself in, police said, and was released without charges.

THE OFFICER:

Bolton, 33, was taken to a hospital in critical condition. He was later declared dead, police said.

Bolton had been a member of the Memphis Police Department since 2010. Bolton was also a Marine veteran who had served a tour in Iraq, police said.

"To lose a loved one or a family member is a horrific event," Memphis police director Toney Armstrong said.

Armstrong added, "We lost not only an officer, but a great man, a dedicated servant to our community, and a family member."

THE MANHUNT:

Wilbourn is still at-large on Monday, Memphis police told ABC News.

A murder warrant has been issued for his arrest, police said.

Police said Wilbourn is out on supervised release after being sentenced to 10 years for bank robbery.

Wilbourn is considered to be armed and dangerous, police said. A $10,000 reward has been announced for his arrest.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

Angel Canales/ABC News(NEW YORK) -- Every year, a group of airmen from the New York Air National Guard embark on a unique mission to support science.

Since the mid-1970’s the 109th Airlift Wing has supported scientists logistically from around the world and brought them to remote locations in Greenland and Antarctica to conduct climate change research.

All of this is possible with a very special aircraft, the Lockheed LC-130, the largest plane in the world, which can land in snow and ice because it is equipped with skis.

Lt. Col Steve Yandik, a pilot and member of the unit for 25 years, said his group is the lifeline for scientists to conduct their research, bringing fuel, supplies and the scientists themselves to remote areas.

“The 109th's mission is different in the fact that we're not being shot," he said. "We’re not in combat but the enemies we are facing here are Mother Nature, weather and extreme cold temperatures."

The mission of the unit, based in Scotia, NY, is to support researchers from the National Science Foundation, an independent, federally-funded organization, in its projects in Greenland and the Antarctic.

In the Antarctic, researchers focus on astrophysics, biology, climate change, marine science and glaciology. In Greenland, researchers are looking at carbon emissions present in glacial ice.

Almost all the areas where the National Science Foundation conducts research are somewhat difficult to access.

In many cases the work could not be carried out without the air support provided by the ski-equipped planes the 109th flies, said Peter West from the National Science Foundation.

The unit can travel between 600 to 1,000 hours during a typical season in Greenland and can transport up to 2.5 million pounds of cargo that are essential to conduct the research.

“I like the challenge of flying on the snow," Yandik said. "I like the fact that actually there's some good coming out of it.”

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(BALTIMORE) -- Federal agents have joined with Baltimore police as part of a wide-reaching effort to curb the recent violence that one expert says appears to be modeled on Los Angeles’ response to the 1992 riots.

The effort, launched on Monday, involves personnel from the FBI, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the Drug Enforcement Administration, the U.S. Marshals Service and the Secret Service, with two agents from each agency directly embedding with the Baltimore police department’s homicide unit, acting police commissioner Kevin Davis said on Sunday.

The collaboration, which Davis dubbed “B-Fed,” comes after two people were fatally shot in Baltimore in the first two days of August, on top of the dozens of killings that took place in the city in July.

Steve Gomez, who worked for the FBI as part of a joint task force with the Los Angeles Police Department when it launched a collaboration in the wake of the riots that followed the beating of Rodney King, said that that was “very similar to what is occurring in Baltimore.”

Gomez, now a consultant for ABC News, said Baltimore police “clearly need assistance from various agencies and now they’re going to get it.”

“Obviously, they’re overwhelmed,” he added.

Rioting in Baltimore took place after the funeral service of Freddie Gray in late April, who died from injuries he suffered while in police custody.

“It’s a snowball effect from the time that the riots began moving forward … Violence begets violence and the criminals are feeling empowered to commit more crime,” Gomez said.

One of the benefits of calling in the federal agents, Gomez said, was that in addition to using the extra resources available at the federal level, they will be able to take on more cases that may have been passed over if the extra staff weren’t on hand.

“They'll authorize the federal agencies ... basically to investigate and take in cases that normally may not meet the prosecuting threshold and that’s because of the rise in violence and the federal government along with the state of Maryland are reprioritizing and committing their agencies to take on cases that will help deal with the rise in violence in Baltimore,” he said.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

WJLA-TV(BETHESDA, Md.) -- One Metro escalator in Bethesda, Maryland is not for the faint of heart.

With a rise of 106 feet and a length along the diagonal of 212 feet, it's the second longest escalator in the Western Hemisphere, according to the Washington Metro Area Transit Authority (WMATA), which debuted the new moving staircase Monday after a nine-month renovation period.

The longest escalator is in the system's Wheaton Station, according to the WMATA.

The ride down in Bethesda is just under three minutes.

“This is a significant improvement for our customers at Bethesda Station,” Metro said in a statement. “This first new entrance escalator will provide more reliable service for the thousands of passengers who travel through the station each day.”

The station, which services nearly 11,000 commuters each weekday, according to WMATA, is undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation, which includes the new escalators and improvements to lighting.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

Wayne W.Davis/Atlantic White Shark Conservancy(NEW YORK) -- Two great white sharks were spotted off the Massachusetts coast.

The photos -- shared Sunday by the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy -- show a research boat close to one of the two sharks they were able to positively identify on July 28.

“We spotted multiple sharks on Tuesday and got enough footage of two for the scientists to ID them,” Atlantic White Shark Conservancy president Cynthia Wigren told ABC News Monday.

Some of the sharks got as close as a quarter-mile away from the shore, while others were further out, Wigren said.

Marine Fisheries Biologist John Chisholm was on board the boat, while a photographer was able to get aerial photos of the research encounter.

The conservancy is working alongside Chisholm -- who did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment -- to complete a five-year white shark study to determine how many white sharks are in the Cape Cod area.

In 2014, the first year of the study, they were able to identify and record 68 white sharks.

Wigren said this season, 16 new sharks have been identified and three have been tagged.

“Activity so far is greater than last year, but the season doesn’t end until the end of October,” she said.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

EMMANUEL DUNAND/AFP/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — A judge in New York set a retrial date for the man charged in the abduction and murder of a boy who was the first missing child featured on a milk carton.

Pedro Hernandez will go on trial again starting in late February after his first trial ended with a hung jury.

Eleven jurors wanted to convict Hernandez of kidnapping and killing Etan Patz in 1979, but there was a lone holdout.

“I couldn’t find enough evidence that wasn’t circumstantial to convict,” the lone juror said at the time.

There was no physical evidence, but Pedro Hernandez confessed to killing the boy.

Defense attorneys questioned whether Hernandez was mentally sound enough to confess.

Patz’ father Stan is still waiting for his family’s long ordeal to be over.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

hitchBOT(PHILADELPHIA) — A Canadian robot hitchhiking across the United States had its journey cut short in Philadelphia after its arms were ripped off and its head was left on the ground.

The 3-foot-tall hitchBOT can snap photos and carry on limited conversations, according to its website. Created as a social experiment by Canadian researchers, the robot had previously hitchhiked across Canada and parts of Europe with its owners tracking it via GPS.

Oh dear, my body was damaged, but I live on with all my friends. Sometimes bad things happen to good robots! #hitchBOTinUSA
— hitchBOT (@hitchBOT) August 1, 2015

That all came to an end this past weekend when hitchBOT sent back a macabre photo showing it had been destroyed.

The robot was two weeks into its journey to hitchhike from the East Coast to San Francisco when it met its demise in the City of Brotherly Love.

It's unknown who was responsible for destroying the robot.


ABC US News | World News

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

Rainer Hengst(CHARLESTON, S.C.) -- Rainer Hengst expected to see his family surfing the waves, not an alligator.

Officials tracked and caught a 7-foot alligator that came up on the beach in Pawleys Island, South Carolina, Sunday morning, police told ABC News on Monday.

Hengst noticed a commotion on the beach and a small crowd gathered to watch an alligator swim close to shore. He took his camera to the beach to get photos of his family surfing the swell, but was able to shoot photos of the alligator instead.

“The alligator would come in to about knee-deep water and then go back out,” Hengst said on Monday.

“It’s unusual to see alligators in the ocean, but not unheard of. I’ve lived here for 10 years and this was my first time seeing one out there,” he added.

Police on four-wheelers followed the slow-moving alligator for two hours as it traveled about a mile up the shore. The contracted gator removal team was able to lasso the alligator and relocate it away from the beach, police chief Michael Fanning said on Monday.

Surfers and beachgoers got back in the water once the alligator was caught.

This is the second time this summer police have had to remove an alligator stuck in the ocean's current, Fanning said.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

Alex_Schmidt/iStock/Thinkstock(BALTIMORE) -- Police in Baltimore announced that they are collaborating with a number of federal law enforcement partners to help quell a surge in violence the city has seen in recent weeks.

The Baltimore Police Department will work with the FBI, the Drug Enforcement Agency, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the U.S. Marshals and the Secret Service, starting Monday. Each agency will send a pair of full-time special agents to be embedded in the BPD's homicide unit.

The Baltimore Sun reports that 10 people were shot -- including seven in one incident -- overnight Saturday into Sunday.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

Monkey Business Images/Thinkstock(WOOD DALE, Ill.) -- At least one person was killed when a tent was uprooted at a festival today in the Chicago suburb of Wood Dale.

"Hail and extremely high winds uprooted a large tent" at the Wood Dale Prairie Fest Sunday afternoon, according to the Wood Dale Police Department Facebook page.

One person was killed and 15 people were hospitalized, police said.

The police called it a "tragic accident" and said the incident is under investigation.

"Our most sincere thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by today's event," the police wrote.

Sunday was the last day of the four-day festival, which includes live music, a carnival and fireworks, according to the city.

Police said the rest of Prairie Fest has been cancelled.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

Stockbyte/Thinkstock Images(NEW YORK) -- New York's John F. Kennedy International airport was the site of another drone incident on Sunday evening.

A Shuttle America flight from Richmond, Va. was coming in for a landing when the pilot spotted a drone off to the left of his plane. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey was made aware of the incident and is investigating.

The Federal Aviation Administration has launched a campaign following a distressing number of drone incidents, warning drone users to stay away from airports.


ABC US News | World News

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(LAS CRUCES, N.M.) -- Two explosive devices were detonated on Sunday morning at two churches.

ABC News affiliate KOAT-TV reports that the explosions happened within minutes of each other with one of them happening in a mailbox at Calgary Baptism Church.

The other explosion occurred in a trash bin outside the Holy Cross Church, according to authorities.
No injuries were reported.

Both the FBI and the Las Cruces Police Department are investigating.

The cause is under investigation and there are currently no suspects, police said.


ABC US News | World News

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(MEMPHIS, Tenn.) -- A person of interest is in custody in Tennessee Sunday, and a warrant was issued for the arrest of a suspect after a Memphis police officer was shot and killed Saturday night, an ABC affiliate reported.

The police said in a tweet that the investigation is ongoing.

Saturday night, officer Sean Bolton was shot several times during what appeared to be a traffic stop, the Memphis Police Department said. Bolton, 33, was hospitalized and later died.

Bolton had been a Memphis police officer since 2010, the police said.

The Memphis Police Department issued a warrant for the arrest of a suspect identified as Tremaine Wilbourn, 29. Wilbourn is at large, the MPD says, and is wanted for first degree murder. He had been on supervised release after a 10 year sentence for a bank robbery.


ABC US News | World News

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.



LinkedUpRadio Envisionwise Web Services