Sajda Mughal, 33, was on the Underground that morning when a bomb exploded in the front carriage. She survived, unhurt. But the memories of that day remain painful. (ABC News)(LONDON) -- Ten years ago, 52 people were killed and more than 700 injured in multiple terrorism attacks across London.
Sajda Mughal, 33, was on the Underground that morning when a bomb exploded in the front car. She survived, unhurt. But the memories of that day remain painful.
"I started thinking about my loved ones, thinking I hadn't said goodbye, that I hadn't gotten married and hadn't had kids. I was getting ready for death, but I was hoping this wouldn't be the end," Mughal said.
After 45 minutes in the darkness, emergency services rescued Mughal along with hundreds of others. Twenty-six people were killed and 340 were injured on her train.
Around the same time, bombs exploded on two other London Transport trains, killing eight and injuring 171 in one, killing seven and injuring 163 in the other. Nearly an hour later, a bomb exploded in a bus in central London, killing 14 people and injuring more than 110.
On Tuesday, commemorative events were held at St Paul's Cathedral in London and at a dedicated memorial in Hyde Park to remember the victims.
Mughal says her experience have changed her life. After several months of counselling she had gone back to her old job, but quickly realized that she was haunted by unanswered questions.
"I wanted to know who had brainwashed these four men, with a wrong ideology, and why," said Mughal, who is Muslim. "I couldn't accept that they had done this because I know that in the Koran it says that killing an innocent person is like killing humanity."
Since 7/7, Mughal has dedicated her time working for her non-profit organization, Jan Trust, which helps and educate Muslim mothers who are worried that their sons are being radicalized. She was awarded with the prestigious Order of the British Empire in 2015, a royal recognition to "distinguished service to the arts and sciences, public services outside the Civil Service."
File. DoD photo by Erin A. Kirk-Cuomo(WASHINGTON) -- Defense Secretary Ash Carter made a shocking admission Tuesday about just how slowly the strategy against ISIS is unfolding, saying that the U.S. is currently training only 60 Syrian fighters to combat ISIS.
When the strategy to defeat ISIS inside Syria was announced last year the Pentagon said it aimed to train 5,000 moderate Syrian rebels per year over three years. No Syrian forces have yet to graduate from any training program.
Now 11 months later, that cadre of 60 trainees is “much smaller than we'd hoped for at this point,” Carter said during testimony in front of the Senate Armed Services Committee, which is holding a hearing on the counter-ISIS strategy.
"We'd like to see more, and we're trying to get better at training them, because the number 60 is, as you all recognize, is not an impressive number." Carter blamed a difficult process of vetting viable candidates.
Last month Carter also spoke about falling short of goals to train the Iraqi military, saying of the 24,000 it had hoped to have training they’d only received enough recruits to train 7,000.
bhofack2/iStock/Thinkstock(VIENNA) -- As the Iran nuclear talks in Vienna, Austria, drag on, passing deadlines and creating marathon work days, U.S. negotiators are focusing their attention on sticking points of a potential deal, not a healthy diet.
The 15-person U.S. delegation and their staff have, since June, consumed 10 pounds of strawberry Twizzlers, 30 pounds of mixed nuts and dried fruit, 20 pounds of string cheese and more than 200 Rice Krispies treats, according to a senior administration official who briefed the press today on the status of the negotiations.
One U.S. negotiator estimated he’s traveled over 400,000 miles, the equivalent of circling the earth 16 times, since the negotiations began.
“There have been three trips to the hospital over the past 18 months for various reasons,” one senior administration official said. “Everyone has been sick at some point ... but that bears no relationship to our wonderful diet.”
There was no word as to whether Secretary of State John Kerry noshed on one of the licorice twists himself.
A white humpback whale with a normal black humpback whale on July 5, 2007 in Cook Strait, New Zealand. (New Zealand Department of Conservation)(COOK STRAIT, New Zealand) -- An "extremely rare" white humpback whale recently made researchers' jaws drop when it surfaced above Cook Strait waters off New Zealand.
The white whale was photographed on Monday swimming side-by-side with a buddy, a more common black humpback whale, the New Zealand Department of Conservation (DOC) said in a statement on Tuesday.
"Only four white humpback whales have been reported in the world," said Nadine Bott, the leader of the boat's survey team counting whales passing through Cook Strait.
They survey is assessing humpback whale recovery since commercial whaling ended in 1964 in New Zealand and aims to estimate the size of the humpback population in our waters. Bott said there is a promising indication humpback whale numbers are increasing in our waters.
The DOC added it believes the spotted white whale is Migaloo, which literally means "white fella" in an aboriginal Australian language.
"Migaloo is the most famous" of white humpback whiles from Australia, Bott explained adding that he "is thought to have fathered two white calves which have been making appearances along Australia's eastern coast. One has been named MJ, short for Migaloo junior."
Researchers said they will do a DNA test from a skin sample they got from the whale to confirm whether the whale is in fact Migaloo.
The analysis will also reveal whether the whale is albino or whether its whiteness is due to color variation.
"This is so unique," said marine mammal scientist Carolos Olavarria, who was with Bott during the sighting. "I have never seen anything like this in New Zealand."
This image was posted to the Halifax Regional Police Twitter account on July 5, 2015 with the text, "Remember, no motorcycle parking in the circle by the ferry terminal. This ruthless biker was caught yesterday!" Halifax Regional Police(HALIFAX, Nova Scotia) -- He's only in a little trouble.
A "ruthless biker" was given a "ticket" for parking illegally at the ferry terminal in Halifax, Canada...and he's only 3!
Declan Tramley, who loves riding his red plastic motorcycle, put his hand to his forehead in exasperation when he was caught by Constable Shawn Currie leaving his bike in a "no-parking zone" on Sunday, Halifax Regional Police Sgt. Pierre Bourdages told ABC News on Tuesday.
"His dad approached Currie and told him he loves police, and they conspired to give him a ticket for fun," Bourdages said.
"Remember, no motorcycle parking in the circle by the ferry terminal," the Halixfax Department wrote on Twitter. "This ruthless biker was caught yesterday!"
Currie, who issued the "ticket," added that it's nice to show a softer side of police.
"We're not always making arrests and hauling people away," he told CTV News. "We like to have fun."
lemtal/iStock/Thinkstock(MOSCOW) -- Stalin and Lenin came to blows not far from Moscow’s famed Red Square. At least that’s how Lenin tells it.
Two impersonators who dress up as the former Soviet leaders to entertain tourists were in a subway station when “Stalin” fell upon “Lenin” with his umbrella, Lenin, also known as Igor Gorbunov, told the tabloid TV station LifeNews.
Other Russian media initially reported that Lenin had accused Stalin of working with another Lenin impersonator and that Stalin took it so badly he hit Lenin on the back with his umbrella.
But the injured Lenin told LifeNews that the two had fought over money -- with Stalin underpaying him for his day’s work impersonating the Soviet Union’s founder.
Stalin, however, has denied everything.
“It’s a set up!” Stalin, whose real name is Latifa Valiyev, told ABC News as he stood at his usual spot near Red Square.
“They’ve set me up. It’s my competitors, you understand?” he said, waving his pipe. Pulling a copy of the day’s paper from his uniform, Stalin said other Stalin impersonators on the square had made the story up to sabotage him.
“I’m going to lodge a complaint,” Stalin said, although he did not elaborate.
Both men, and two or three other Lenins and Stalins, are normally seen standing happily together, charging tourists money for photos with them.
However, this is not the first time the two erstwhile Communist leaders have come to blows.
Last summer, a different Stalin went to the police, accusing a Lenin of punching his wife, Russian state TV reported. Lenin, for his part, said he’d been defending himself from Stalin.
The impersonators are a city institution, with the same men playing the leaders for years. But with more and more Stalin and Lenin impersonators encroaching on each other’s turf on Red Square, the business seem to have become cut-throat.
“He’s creating a mafia atmosphere here,” a Lenin told Russian state TV last summer, pointing at a Stalin who was smoking a pipe.
“And besides that, there’s his Napoleon-like plans,” he added.
The real-life Stalin succeeded Lenin in the 1920s as leader of Soviet Russia, despite Lenin’s attempts to prevent it, warning Stalin was dangerous for the country.
This time though, the offended Lenin said they had patched things up, telling LifeNews he had forgiven Stalin and they had decided to remain friends.
Russia Interior Ministry(MOSCOW) -- Russian authorities are taking action to prevent anyone from taking photos of themselves in dangerous places.
Following a recent spate of selfie-related deaths, officials there have launched a campaign called "Safe selfies."
Beginning on Tuesday, graphics and instructions will start appearing on Russian social media sites warning against posing for pictures on railways, roofs and bridges. They also warn against posing with guns or tigers.
Police say at least 10 people have been killed and 100 injured while taking selfies on Russian soil so far this year. Most recently, a woman was killed when she fell off a bridge while trying to snap a photo of herself.
Police spokeswoman Yelena Alexeyeva said on Tuesday, "We want to remind citizens that the pursuit of 'likes' in social media can put them on the road to death."
David Ramos/Getty Image(PAMPLONA, Spain) -- At least three people were hurt at Pamplona's first day of the Running of the Bulls.
According to Spain's major newspaper, El Pais, two Americans and one British national were hurt on Tuesday. One American was injured after being gored in the chest by a bull while the other American was caught in the back. The British national sustained a foot injury.
The bull, named Fastuoso, sprinted down the street knocking into people. A runner was thrown against a wall causing a water pipe to burst.
Those injured in the event were taken to the Complejo Hospitalario de Navarra.
ullstein bild/ullstein bild via Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon believes further investigation is necessary to uncover the truth behind a 1961 plane crash in which Secretary-General Dag Hammarskjold and 15 others died.
According to Ban, questions remain about a possible aerial attack or other interference.
However, Ban said in a letter to the U.N. General Assembly circulated Monday that an independent review of new information about the mysterious crash put to rest claims that Hammarskjold was assassinated after surviving the crash.
Ban called for countries to disclose relevant records related to the crash.
Hammarskjold's plane, a DC-6 known as the Albertina, crashed on Sept. 18, 1961 in the African bush in Northern Rhodesia, today's Zambia, during a peace mission to newly-independent Congo.
The crash has long been shrouded in mystery. The lone survivor reported that there were explosions aboard the plane before it hit the ground, and speculation has raged that the plane was shot down, or that Hammarskjold was the subject of an assassination plot.
Pilot error has also been thought to contribute to the accident.
Andrew Burton/Getty Images(OSLO, Norway) -- Education activist Malala Yousafzai is calling on world leaders to invest in books, not bullets.
Speaking at the Oslo Education Summit in Oslo, Norway, the 17-year-old Nobel Laureate declared that every child deserves access to 12 years of free education.
“The poorest girls get just three years of schooling because of a lack of will and vision by our governments,” Yousafzai said ahead of her Tuesday speech. “This is unacceptable.”
In a paper published by the Malala Fund called Beyond Basics, Yousafzai calls on low- and middle-income countries to commit a minimum of 20 percent of their national budgets to education, compared to the current average of 15 percent.
A new report published by the UNESCO and Education for All shows that the number of out of school children and young adolescents between the ages of 6 and 15 years is on the rise -- up to 124 million in 2013, compared to 122 million in 2011.
“Leaders of the 21st century must deliver on their promises to invest in the future and start investing in books, education and hope, rather than in weapons, war and conflicts,” Yousafzai said. “We will not stop. We will continue to speak out and raise our voices until we see every child in school.”
During the World Education Forum in May, 100 countries committed to providing free primary and secondary education to all children by 2030. According to the UNESCO report, the cost of providing 12 years of free education to every child is an estimated $340 billion per year through 2030 -- or $39 billion more than current commitments. But Yousafzai says that shortfall is a pittance compared to global military spending.
“The shocking truth is that world leaders have the money to fully fund global education - but they are choosing to spend it on other things, like their military budgets,” Yousafzai wrote in a post on the Malala Fund blog. “In fact, if the whole world stopped spending money on the military for just 8 days, we could have the $39 billion needed to provide 12 years of free, quality education to every child on the planet.”
When not speaking to world leaders and advocating for education, Yousafzai is making plans for her 18th birthday on July 12. Instead of presents, she is asking supporters to send a message to world leaders: "Post a photo of yourself holding up your favorite book and share why you choose #BooksNotBullets," she wrote. "Tell world leaders to fund the real weapon for change, education!"
Biskariot/iStock Editorial/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- As Americans were celebrating the Fourth of July holiday, four Russian long-range bomber aircraft flew close enough to the US shores that they were intercepted by military fighter jets.
The first set of two bombers flew near Alaska and just 30 minutes later a separate set flew far off the west coast of California.
According to officials at NORAD the flights stayed within international airspace and at no time did any of the Russian bombers enter or get close to entering sovereign North American boundaries.
The first incident occurred at approximately 10:30 a.m. EDT on July 4, when Alaskan-based NORAD F-22 fighters intercepted and visually identified two Russian TU-95 "Bear" long-range bomber aircraft flying off the coast of the Aleutian Islands within the Air Defense Identification Zone (an area of international waters that stretches 200 miles from US coastline), officials at NORAD said in a statement to ABC News.
Then at approximately 11 a.m. EDT, NORAD F-15 fighters from the Continental NORAD Region intercepted and visually identified two additional Bear bombers flying off the central California coast, well away from U.S. sovereign airspace.
While Northcom is not saying precisely how far out the California intercept occurred, one official said it was on the outer lines of the ADIZ, meaning it could have been as far out as 200 miles. US airspace begins 12 miles from the coasts. The US asks military aircraft from other countries operating in that space to identify themselves and will make sure they've changed course away from US shores before backing away.
While intercepts of Russian aircraft off Alaska occur frequently, intercepts off California are less common. In June last year a two long-range Russian bombers flew within 50 miles of northern California.
A drawing shows the New Horizons spacecraft approaching Pluto and its largest moon, Charon, in July 2015. (NASA)(NEW YORK) -- NASA's New Horizon space probe is on track to make a scheduled approach to Pluto following a heart-stopping glitch on Saturday when the spacecraft briefly cut communications with Earth.
The space probe, which has been on a nearly decade-long journey to the dwarf planet, briefly entered safe mode on Saturday.
NASA said the glitch appeared to be caused by a "hard-to-detect timing flaw in the spacecraft command sequence."
"I’m pleased that our mission team quickly identified the problem and assured the health of the spacecraft," Jim Green, NASA Director of Planetary Science said in a statement. "Now — with Pluto in our sights — we're on the verge of returning to normal operations and going for the gold."
The spacecraft is scheduled to come as close as 6,200 miles from the surface of Pluto on July 14, the closest any man-made object has come to the dwarf planet.
As New Horizons has closed in on Pluto, it's provided a closer look at Pluto's surface and its moons. In February, the spacecraft took two long-exposure images showing two of Pluto's moons, Hydra and Nix, orbiting the dwarf planet. It was the first time the space probe had gotten close enough to view the moons.
New Horizons blasted into space atop an Atlas V rocket in January 2006. Pluto at the time was still considered a planet, with scientists later that year voting to demote its status to that of a dwarf planet.
After a sleepy nine years, the probe woke up in December 2014 from the last of its 18 hibernation periods as it prepared for its initial approach toward Pluto.
A man attached helium balloons to a lawn chair and soared above Stampede Park in Calgary, Canada on July 5, 2015. (Tom Warne)(CALGARY, Alberta) -- It’s a bird. It’s a plane. No, it’s a man in a lawn chair flying over Canada.
A Canadian man attached giant helium-filled balloons to a makeshift cockpit -– a lawn chair -– and soared for miles over Calgary in an attempt at a promotional stunt, according to police and one of his business partners.
But Daniel Boria, 26, lost control of the rig and had to abandon ship at some point.
“He had no control device on the balloons and really was just traveling by the grace of the wind,” Derek Mohajer told ABC News on Monday.
Boria, who works in marketing, took to the skies Sunday afternoon with 150 balloons in an attempt to promote a cleaning company.
“It was a little too windy and he went a little too high and the stunt wasn’t responsible,” Mohajer said.
According to police, he was first spotted above Harlow Avenue, in the Northwest part of the city. Then witnesses spotted him trying to maneuver the chair towards the downtown area.
When he neared downtown, "the man jumped from the chair and opened a parachute attached to his back," police said in a release.
He landed at Highfield Boulevard and Ogden Road, in the southeast part of the city, about 9 miles away.
Boria missed his landing zone -- which police believe to be the Stampede Grounds -- and had minor ankle injuries, according to Mohajer.
Police arrested Boria and charged him with mischief causing danger to life, according to the Calgary Police Service. He has since been released.
As for the balloons, Mohajer said he has no clue where they ended up.